What is it?
Amazon variation listings are designed to provide convenience to customers in finding different sizes or colors of your product quickly and easily. By utilizing Amazon variation listings, a seller can improve your product’s discoverability and increase the chances of customers converting. With Amazon variation listings, a seller can make it easier for customers to find the exact product they are looking for, helping to increase the seller’s sales and profits.
If a seller’s product has a variation theme, they must select a parent-child relationship for it in order to use it. Not all categories support parent-child relationships and not every variation is suitable for such a relationship. Make sure that the parent-child relationship you choose is appropriate for your product.
How listing variations can benefit a seller’s business?
Variations (also known as parent-child relationships) are sets of related products that help customers simplify their search results. By grouping products into parent-child relationships, customers can easily choose the exact product attributes they want to see. For example, if a seller offers a Hoodie that comes in 15 colors and 10 sizes, the seller can display only the parent product in searches, instead of all 150 unique combinations. This helps customers quickly find the exact product they are looking for.
Creating variation listings can also help a seller to maximize their sales. Customers who are looking for specific variations of your product will be able to find what they are looking for more quickly and easily, leading to higher conversions. Additionally, by breaking down your product into multiple variations, you will be able to reach a wider audience and increase your potential customer base.
Three elements make up a parent-child relationship
- A parent product (ASIN)
- A child product
- The variation theme (Color or Size)
A parent product (ASIN)
- Parent listings in the Amazon catalog are used to group related products together.
- A parent listing contains one or more child listings, and these child listings are usually associated with the same product or brand.
- For example, if you see three different types of clothing under the same listing, this indicates that they are all child products of the same parent listing.
- By grouping related items, Amazon provides better visibility and easier navigation for customers.
A child product
- Child products are similar to their parent product, but with some differences in size, color, pattern, or both.
- There may be several child products listed under the parent, each with a different theme such as Style, Size, and Color. These differences make it possible to find the perfect product for any individual’s needs.
The variation theme (color or size)
- A seller can create a single variation theme per listing or can choose to accept double, or hybrid, variations in certain categories.
- For example, in the Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry categories, the seller can make size-color variations for child products. In the Beauty and Make-up categories, they can have style-size or color-size variations.
- Be sure to check the specific category guidelines to ensure that the variation theme is allowed.
- With double and hybrid variations, a seller can offer customers more options and make their listings stand out.
Automatic Variation Services (AVS)
The Automatic Variation Services (AVS) program facilitates the automated creation of variation (twister) product relationships. Using the values of attributes the seller enters, AVS creates and manages variation relationships.
In order for the right combinations to be created, the values provided for the attributes must be correct.
The grouping rules are established at the backend, and they may differ across templates. These rules indicate a set of grouping characteristics (qualities that should be the same across ASINs in the same variation family) and a list of varying attributes (features that vary among ASINs in the same variation family). Grouping features are necessary and must be identical across the family. This enables automated “grouping” of items into one family.
AVS Configuration Logic Attributes
For ASINs to be grouped together in one family, it is essential that their grouping attributes are the same. Ensure all products in the variation have the same grouping attribute values so that Automatic Variation Services (AVS) can put them in the same variation group.
The following attributes are required and define the dimensions of the variation:
- For instance, AVS will always produce size variations if the changing attribute is Size.
- If the varying attributes are Style and Color, then the variation theme will be Style and color for all variations created in that scope.
- By ensuring that all variations have the same dimensions, AVS can help quickly and accurately to create variations that meet the seller’s specific needs.
Optional Grouping Attributes
If a seller is looking to variate a family further, these attributes are required. If the seller updates the optional grouping attribute for one ASIN, then all related ASINs must have the same attribute updated with similar values. These attributes are not generally required.
When there are multiple variable attributes, the slicing attribute is only necessary in those cases and must also be similar.
Important points to remember while creating variations: Do’s and Don’ts
- It’s important to remember that brand names are case-sensitive. For example, AMAZON, amazon, and Amazon will be considered different. This means that it’s essential to use the same brand name for the parent product and all its child products on the detail page.
- The variation theme values for each child product that is listed in the seller’s Amazon catalog must match one another. For instance, if the variation is for color and size, or color and style, then the corresponding values must be updated in the catalog.
- If a product is already a part of one variation family, it cannot be added to another. To transfer the product to the preferred family, the seller must first contact customer support and have it removed from its existing family.
- It is not possible to create variations for products that have more than two characteristics that are different from the parent product. This is due to the fact that variations are dependent on the parent product and cannot include characteristics that deviate too far from the original.
- Ensure each child ASIN has the correct variation value, such as size or color, included in its title.
- Creating large variation families with more than 2,000 child ASINs is not advised, as this is the maximum number of ASINs that Amazon will show.
- It’s important to remember that the variation families should only include products of the same brand and product type.
- The variant value should not appear in the parent product’s title.
Advantages of listing variations on the Amazon product detail page:
- Boost the visibility of new or low-performing listings by grouping them with higher-performing ones.
- By diversifying the listings on Amazon, a seller can increase their visibility, leading to better-performing products. This also leads to more reviews and a stronger presence in the marketplace.
- Having a variety of products in a listing can help maintain a shopper’s interest for longer.
- Adding variations to a listing gives customers more options right away, without having to toggle between different product listings to find the size, color, style, pattern, etc. that they need. This helps boost conversions.
- Customer reviews of all variations will be cumulative and listed under the same parent listing, regardless of which variation they purchased.
- If the seller has sold a product from their parent-child listing – regardless of the variation – it will go toward the overall sales history for that listing, boosting their organic search ranking and Best Sellers Rank.
Overall, it may be said
Learning how to make a variation to an existing Amazon listing could go a long way for you on Amazon if you are looking to gain new customers, improve organic rankings and make the most of your business.
You can keep your customers focused on your listings by strategically setting up themes, adding A+ content, and organizing your variations.
At StaffCloud.net, Our experienced team knows how to correctly create variations for your products in Seller as well as Vendor Central and make the process painless for you.
To list and maintain your products on Amazon Seller Central and Vendor Central, StaffCloud provides a full range of assistance. We provide you with the best in class, high-quality and cost-effective product listing services for Amazon.
We hope this article has addressed all queries you had regarding the product variations on Amazon. Contact us today to learn how to get started!